Wednesday, 23 March 2016

Death of a legend-Bernie Wojcicki



Well how sad to be sat writing about the passing of a legend, I guess that's the thing with living legends, you for some strange reason believe them to be way above suffering the normality's of life and to live forever, Bernie was certainly a living legend, a real character, funny, generous beyond belief with his sharing of knowledge, humble and so laid back he was almost horizontal.....This is sounding like he and I were best friends and that's not true, but through the magic of the Internet I first communicated with Bernie some 15 plus years ago and since then just way too many times to recall. An Internet mate maybe.....


I'm not a big lover of forums and the like, I much prefer to talk with folks on skype or via some form of one to one type of messenger, Bernie was never a great poster on forums, I'm not saying he never posted, just not much so we shared that in common as well as a passion for all things whips, like many I bought a whip from Bernie, three in total, I regret not buying more now, and then like a lot I proceeded to ask him many questions which he answered with good grace, I had only a couple or three years under my belt and here was a guy with 30 years experience I'm sure for a while I made a proper pest of myself. I am very proud to say though that over the years of staying in touch I was able to pay back and do Bernie a couple of favours, he would also ask me on occasion to help out folks that had written to him from Europe or the UK, things like where to get supplies from etc....I always of course paid forwards and answered.


In recent years Bernie has had a reputation for long wait times, there are a few that didn't order from him because of that, but things were not always that way, I can remember a time, a few times in fact where work was up and down and I recommended him when I was busy, back then my work book was up and down too, not often but on several occasions when folk from the UK or EU didn't want to wait the time for him he pointed them my way,


I would think most current day whip makers have gleaned some knowledge from Bernie, some don't admit to it but we all had help along the way and most share tips and tricks with others we respect




Bernie will probably be best remembered by some for the high plait count fancy ring work style whips he made, others for the silver caps and ferrules and collars on his work, for the general whip population his Bullwhips, by the fetish community his signal whips with changeable cracker, others for his help and generosity whatever your reasons please remember this great man, this legend, I will...R.I.P Bernie, I sincerely hope your in a better place and happy...